Friday, December 3, 2010

Dealing with my asshole

Witless says:
As I sat down today to try to figure out what to write, I took a look back at our posts this weeks.  I think we've all hit a major hurdle in our quest for healthier lifestyles.  This made me think about all the awful, terrible things I've done food wise this week and my relationship with food overall.  This morning I had an insight:

My relationship with food is exactly like my relationship with Asshole (my late high school, early college boyfriend)!

At the the beginning of the relationship everything was new and fresh, and when he screwed up, I just chalked it up to him being human. Then as he began to become more passive aggressive in our interactions I began to doubt where this relationship was going.  But not enough to break up, because most of the time he was nice (or so I told myself) and I thought I loved him.  By the end, I was being ignored and taken advantage of (and taken for granted), but I didn't leave even though I knew there were better things out there because it was habit and comfortable.  I knew what to expect from him, even if it was generally shitty behavior.  Then I had a wake up call and with the help of friends and a certain cute Bear, I had the guts to end it and move on.

It's not a unique story, I'm sure we have all had more or less the same experience, except maybe for Bret and his blow up doll.  Now for the food part:

I know all the things I'm supposed to be doing.  I haven't lived in a cave or in Amish country, so I know what's good for me: lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; lean meats and sparingly used red meat; no sodas (even diet) or man-made created foods; at least 30-60 minutes of activity a day with a heavy focus on cardio.  That's the better out there waiting for me.

But I've lived for 27 years with my current status quo.  I know it's bad for me. I know it's taking years off my life and effecting my health.  But it's comfortable.  And for every time I get heartburn from crappy fast food, I have a few moments of bliss with a Blizzard or a piece of cake.

Making the kind of radical change I want and need to make is scary.  And it's not as simple as people want to make it out to be.  It's not just a case of will power or knowledge.  It's going against 27 years of what I know, into something brand new.  Which is scary and intimidating as hell.

Sorry to get so preachy, maudlin, whatever you want to call it.  So to lighten the mood:

Bret has a small penis. Lily is an alcoholic. Lorraine is lonely and has an imaginary best friend. Bear likes sausage.

Lorraine says:
I pretty much know what you mean. Even though there is knowledge in our heads, that has to constantly fight against experience. I mean, my dad used to take us every so often to eat chocolate frosted doughnuts before dropping us off at school. After dinner he'd always have a chocolate bar, which he'd kindly share with his three girls. My dad is a walking stick. Like a size 29. So glad he could pass on the habits and not the genes.

I probably giggled as I read through as I saw that you were going to discuss your relationship with assholes. Of course I went back and saw it was a particular Asshole, but whatever. I'll probably still think you and Bear bond over things like sausages and assholes. 

Lily says: 
You're preaching to the choir. It's so much easier to eat all the processed crap than to like make something healthy. I'd rather eat a pizza puff than to steam some veggies. Plus when I'm sad, it's easier to eat pizza and drink beer or vodka than to reach for, I don't know, trail mix. 

But on another note: I'm not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings.

Tricky Fish says: 
So to sum this all up, Bear is getting sloppy seconds?

Bear says: 
LALALALALALALALALALALAL I'M NOT LISTENING LALALALALALALALALALALA I hate you Bret.

Lily says:
Bret is an asshole sometimes. Meanie Bret. 

Lorraine says:
So what you're all saying is that Wife dated Bret the Asshole until she left him for Bear who likes sausages?!

*grabs popcorn*

Er... Non-fat popcorn? 

Lily says:
Kettle corn is low in the fat stuff, care for some, Lor? 

Lorraine says:
Aaaand there goes Lily offering me food. Now the post is complete. 

Lily says:
I love you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment