Friday, December 17, 2010

The triumphant return of Ethiopians and Bret's racism

Witless Exposition: I'm really excited that every time I weighed myself this week, the trend was down.  So I can unequivocally say that I have lost a whole pound this week.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but both my doctor and my internet research says 1-2 pounds lost a week is really what you should aim for.  It's safe for your body, and it's more likely to stay off if you lose it slowly.  Your body has a chance to get used to the change instead of thinking that you're a starving Ethiopian and holding on to every fat cell it can get its grubby little hands on.

I'm very proud of myself this week.  While we haven't worked out every day, each time we've gone, I felt less like dying.  I'm still at a level where my body is working hard (my heart rate is in the target for aerobic exercise each time), and the circuit room weight still makes me work, but I don't have to stop to catch my breath anymore, and I'm able to do a little more/go a little faster each day.

As far as the food front this week: I've splurged a little on several days, BUT each day I did, I made sure I ate less calories for my lunches/dinners.  I.e. salad for lunch with a single pack of chocolate ice cream.  I was still in my range of healthy carbs per meal, and since I don't really do dressing much, the salad filled me up, but didn't pack a big calorie punch.  I'm starting to learn that I really, actually, and honestly can do this whole portion control thing.

So if I keep going at the rate I am now, I have roughly nine months before I hit my first weight goal.  That's a bit depressing, but it no longer feels impossible.

Lorraine: If we all keep doing well, what the hell do we blog about? So, um, how about those Ethiopians?

The Bear Monk: I actually got to try Ethiopian food once...it's apparently pretty big in the greater DC area.  I have to say...I really liked it but I can definitely tell why they're so damn skinny...other then the whole famine thing.  That shit was SPICY.

 Lily: Mexican food is spicy... Why am I not skinny?!

Oh, right. Most of it is deep fried.

The Bear Monk: I'm glad to see that logic is finally prevailing with you Lily.  These Ethiopian folks apparently cook their meats in some crazy spicy sauces and then throw raw jalapeños on top for good measure.  I know...I tried one to see what it was.  It was not NOT a green pepper. 

Lily: Bwahahahaa. I'm going to try to not fry anymore food. 

Slightly Fishy or something: You'll feel a lot better after you stop frying food lily.  It is far more satisfying when someone else does it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment